This is a great recipe for deer. It is so good even your friends who may not like the taste of wild game will go wild about it. I have cooked this to diverse groups with rave reviews, and very few can figure out it is venison!
- 2-3 lbs of deer back strap or other prime cut. Preferably cut to 1 1/2 – 2 inch medallions
- 1 pint of buttermilk
- 36 ozs of apple cider or raw apple juice
- 8-12 ozs of Sweet Baby Rays™ BBQ Sauce
- 1 lb of hickory smoked bacon
- Soak the deer meat (cut to size) overnight in the buttermilk
- Wash the buttermilk throughly from the meat. Put in bag with apple cider (or juice) for about 2 hours and refrigerate
- Pour out the apple cider and replace with the Sweet Baby Rays™. Marinade for 2 hours unrefrigerated (opens up meat and lets sauce in).
- Wrap the medallions in the bacon.
- Turn grill up on high and put the meat on it to sear one side.
- Taper heat down to around 400 degrees and cook for about 15 min
- Turn heat back up on high and flip and sear the other side.
- Taper heat back down to 400 and cook for about 10 min.
The bacon should end up with a semi-fried outside coat, and the deer should be medium (thin pink line in middle. Remember deer meat like most wild game tends to dry out so don’t over cook.
What you end up with is a nice filet sized meat portion that is sweet and tangy like this…
It is so juicy that they Gun and Gear Guy’s main squeeze didn’t even eat the bacon!